Online FSSAI Registration – An Overview
Any entrepreneur who wants to start a business in the food sector, be it food processing or food manufacturing, packaging or distributing, has to register for Food Safety and Standard Authority of India FSSAI.
FSSAI monitors these businesses under the guidelines and regulations listed in FSSAI Act 2006.
With expert assistance from Efillings, get an FSSAI license in the quickest possible way in only 4 simple steps -
- Guidance on selecting the food license types
- Verification of your FSSAI registration documents
- Filing your online FSSAI application
- Procurement of FSSAI food licence
Why online FSSAI license is required? Benefits
- Access of studies based on evidence is given that improve your work policies or help create them.
- New knowledge is generated that can bring progress to your safety standards and aid you in reaching the benchmark of international organizations.
A food license builds an immense feeling of trust in your patrons. It paves the path to a long and loyal relationship with the buyer as they believe you offer unsurpassed quality food.
FSSAI online registration in India - A detailed process
STEP 1 - Consulting, Documentation & Filing
- You fill in our online application. Our experts are at your call to help with any query.
- Our experts do a consultation on the type of license needed
- We then collect the documents through email.
- We double check the paperwork.
- Form A and Form B are generated for the actual license process.
- We file it with the concerned authorities.
STEP 2 - Follow up and waiting for Approval
- After the CS or CA has filed the application, we resolve any questions that the authorities may ask.
- We facilitate the follow-up required by the food department.
- Then there will be a 20-day wait period during which the government considers your application.
STEP 3 - Delivery Of License
- Once approved, a digital and paper copy of the license is sent to you on the given address.
- The procurement of the license takes a maximum of 30 days.
The waiting period mentioned here is for basic license. For the other two licenses, the government approval can take a maximum of 50 days.
Documents required for FSSAI Registration Process
Be it a food safety management registration or production license, there are some documents that should be submitted along with the FSSAI online application. Listed below are the mandatory paperwork for each type of FSSAI registration:
- FSSAI Registration - An identity proof that contains a photograph
- A passport sized photograph
- State & Central License - Proof of address
- Import/export code
- A passport sized photograph
- A list of directors or partners
- A certificate of incorporation
- The MoA and AoA of the business
- An identity proof that contains a photograph
- No Objection Certificate from the local municipality
- For manufacturing units, besides the above-listed documents, the following are also required: The blueprint of warehouse, plant, etc.
- A list of all machinery
- Report of a water test
- List of all food categories
Who requires a Food License?
Every Food Business Operator is required to be licensed/registered under the FSSAI. FSSAI Registration is required by small businesses like hawkers, petty retailers, etc whose annual turnover is less than Rs.12 lakhs per year. All food businesses exceeding this annual turnover limit of Rs 12 lakhs per year require a FSSAI License.
Whether you are a small scale or large scale business, you need to obtain FSSAI State License or FSSAI Central License, according to your requirement. Usually, large manufacturers, exporters, importers, etc obtain Central Licence while mid-sized entities like transporters, traders, etc need State Licence.
If your business falls in any one of the below-listed categories, then a food license is mandatory for you.
To be more elaborate, any individual or a company that operates with food substances from farm to plate must obtain the FSSAI food license. A more detailed list of those who require FSSAI registration Certificate is here:
- Food chains
- Food sellers and resellers
- Dairy and dairy processing
- Food importers and exporters
- Processors like pickle and dry fruit maker
- Raw material suppliers to food businesses
- Retailers & establishments who have a retail outlet
- Simple transporters who transfer items from one location to another
- Canteens in corporations, schools, colleges, hospitals or government institutions
- Packaged food manufacturers who produce items such as biscuits and ready to eat products
Storage units and warehouses require a food safety registration instead of a production license.
FSSAI license types in India
According to the FSSAI Act, 2006 all food businesses are required to be registered/licenced:
- FSSAI registration: This is the primary kind of food license and it is issued for: Businesses that are small in turnover – 12 Lakh INR approximately
- FBO that is at the budding stage like a dairy with a capacity of less than 500 ltr/day.
- Trades like tea shops, canteens, food processors and small warehouses ideally require this licence. It can be upgraded when the business begins to expand in capacity and profit.
- The State Licence: Companies that have a profit greater than 12 lakhs and less than 20 Crores INR require the state license.Some examples are: Dairies with a capacity of over 50,000 litres/day
- Hotels with a 3-star rating and above :An exception here is the catering business. Irrespective of their turnover, they have to apply for a state license and not a basic FSSAI license.
The Central License: The above to licences were for small and mid-sized trades. The central registration is for bigger businesses. It is issued to: Companies that supply food to government offices and departments.
- Trades that have a turnover of over Rs. 20 Crores.
- Food import and export commerce
Significance of FSSAI license number format
A 14-digit food license will contain a State Code and registration.
Every food package must have a label. This label should mandatorily contain:
- The logo of FSSAI
- License number
How can we help in FSSAI Registration and Food License?
Efillings provides an end-to-end service for food licensing and FSSAI registration. Our promise to every food product business is:
- FSSAI Registration at the least time frame
- Comprehensive help with FSSAI online application filling
- Guidance on selecting the right food license type
- Hand-holding through the entire registration procedure
- Solution to all your questions and concerns
At Efillings, our guiding principle is to guarantee that your food business begins as soon as possible and as seamlessly as practical.
Non-compliance with FSSAI regulations
Non-compliance with the FSSAI regulations can prove to be costly. Production and distribution of food products without the FSSAI registration or license will incur a severe penalty and may cause risk to your brand reputation.
Food inspections will be conducted by Food Safety Officers and compliance levels will be granted for the food business. Compliance will be graded as below -
- Partial Compliance
- Not Applicable/ Not Observed (NA)
In accordance with the above markings, the Food Safety Officer might issue an improvement notice. The officer might also cancel the license if the standards are not maintained even after warnings.
In addition to this, if the FBO is not satisfied with the Food Safety Officer’s improvement notice, they can appeal to the State Commissioner of Food Safety. Their decisions can also put to a challenge via an appeal towards Food Safety Appellate Tribunal / High Court.
Benefits of Acquiring FSSAI License:
FSSAI license and registration help businesses in the following ways:
- Many thanks to the digital world, since consumers are becoming more conscious of the nature of the food they eat. Holding a valid FSSAI license allows businesses to improve and enhance their credibility.
- The FSSAI logo is widely recognized and hence it can ensure goodwill among consumers.
- Streamlines all the processes involved from manufacturing to distribution and sale of the food products.
- Makes food manufacturing more dependable on science-based principles
- The important aspects of hygiene and cleanliness are regulated and followed when FSSAI registration is involved.
- FSSAI license or registration provides a platform to produce quality food products that are on par with international food standards.
- FSSAI license positively influences the dependability and production of the company, thus giving it a huge chance to expand and grow.
- FSSAI license is important for exporting food products to other countries.
- FSSAI is also responsible for setting guidelines and procedures for quality assurance of the accredited labs as per ISO17025.
FSSAI license validity:
FSSAI license rules are hard and fast. FSSAI licenses issued to food businesses are valid for a period of 1 to 5 years. It is mandatory to apply for license renewal 30 days before the expiry of the existing license. Non-renewal of licenses can fetch a fine of Rs.100 per day until the renewal is done . Any lapse in renewal within the stipulated date can result in the old license becoming defunct and businesses will have to apply for a fresh license.
Guidelines to be followed for FSSAI License Number:
Similar to the guidelines for FSSAI license, there are certain rules for FSSAI license numbers.
FSSAI Rules and Regulations for the Food Industry and Food Businesses:
Guidelines to modify FSSAI License and FSSAI Registration:
FAQs on FSSAI Registration - Get your food licence online easily
Renewing FSSAI registration
Renew your FSSAI license 30 days before your current license expired. To do this, you will have to give Efillings your present license number. Once we receive the license number, we will submit Form A and Form B i n order to renew your FSSAI registration. This process should take between 30 and 40 days. The renewal fee is the same as the cost of a new license as per the government.
Is it mandatory for 100% export units to get FSSAI licensing?
Yes, whether it is import or export of food items, FSSAI licensing is necessary.